Thursday, December 6, 2012

Morning Sickness Fun

Remember that joyful-4-weeks-pregnant-with-no-morning-sickness-whatsoever girl from the last blog? Okay well she's been replaced by something emotional and sickly. Because guess what? I'm not in the lucky 1/3 of the pregnant population who doesn't get morning sickness. As soon as week six hit, I noticed a drastic change in my appetite. I went from always being hungry and eating everything in sight, to always being hungry, usually being nauseous and never able to figure out what it is I want. It's been about a week or so since I thought something truly tasted good. It's a pretty vicious cycle - I have to eat to keep from throwing up, but if I don't eat the right thing, at the right pace, in the right amount I'm sure to throw up anyway. And if I do throw up, it's harder to get back to the place where I can eat anything at all. But I HAVE to eat or I'll just get sick again.
Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who has been exceedingly patient through this new stage of pregnancy. I think his ears are finely tuned to hear the sound of my puking because he is immediately by my side, rubbing my back. He makes me food, picks up my weird food requests, and doesn't get upset when I only eat a few bites or none of it at all.
I'm at  9 weeks now. 5 weeks to go until I'm out of this dreaded first trimester and into the second. 
Recently we've discovered I have the best mornings when I drink a protein shake in bed and eat something solid afterword. Once again, Matt has been crucial in this. I literally cannot express the amount of gratitude I have for him. He's been more than awesome and supportive. He lets me lay in bed for a solid 45 minutes while he gets ready, takes the dogs out, makes our lunches, feeds the dogs, and all the while getting me what I need. That's love, people.

This past Tuesday I went to my first mid-wife appointment. It went well, but wasn't all that exciting. They drew blood and asked me a bunch of health related questions and then gave me more information about their practice. I'm a little disappointed that I don't see the same mid-wife for my appointments/for my labor. But they work really hard to introduce you to all of them. My official due date is May 9th :) Right now it seems so far away and that's just fine because I'm sure I can use the next 7.5 months to get ready. My next appointment is November 1st and by then I'll be days away from my second trimester AND we'll get to hear the heartbeat. The week before Christmas is when we get to know the sex of the baby so we're pretty excited about a Christmas day gender reveal present for the family.

So that's about it in pregnancy land.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that as I'm reading this, you're out of that icky first trimester! You and Matt are so supportive of one another. You're baby doesn't know yet just how blessed he/she is.

    ReplyDelete