Thursday, December 6, 2012

The beginnings of a birth plan.

So a lot of people... okay a lot of women, like to know certain things about pregnant women. As a pregnant woman, I like to know certain things about other pregnant women so I'm not bothered by the same questions I repeatedly get...yet. It's still early. 
Questions like "how are you feeling, how far along are you, did you get morning sickness, is it a boy or a girl," and the ultimate preggo question is usually asked in a series of questions but can be summed up by saying, "what's your birth plan?"

So I figured I'd go ahead and blog about the rough outline of mine because Matt and I have a pretty clear picture of how an ideal day in labor would go. (When I say Matt and I, I really mean I have a pretty clear idea of what I want and Matt is fine with whatever as long as I don't do a home birth.)

I think I've already mentioned that I'm seeing the tri-health Midwife clinic in Cincinnati. I  think a lot of people have misconceptions about what a Midwife is and what she does. A clinically certified Midwife is basically a nurse that has been certified by the by the American College of Nurse Midwives. All the midwives at tri-health have their CNM. We chose the midwife route because Midwives are use to facilitating natural childbirth. They don't push for medication or c-section unless its absolutely necessary or the mother demands it. The percentage of C-sections in America has increased something like 30% since the 1980's and a lot of it has to with the fact that c-sections take a fraction of the time for a doctor to perform compared to vaginal birth. Watch The Business of Being Born on Netflix... kind of crazy.

In February I'll start my third trimester and I'll start Bradley classes. The Bradley Birthing Method has been around since the 40's or something crazy like that but it boasts of an 86% un-medicated birth rate. That's not too shabby and because I would prefer to give birth naturally and un-medicated I decided this is the way to go. Why natural? There are a few different reasons why and I will probably end up having a post dedicated only to natural childbirth but not today. 

I am aware that most labors end with a happy and healthy mother and child but almost all labors never go as planned. And I'm okay that. I'm not trying to prove anything to any one by attempting an un-medicated birth. It is just my preference and what I think it best for me and baby. Every woman is different and has different ideas of what her labor will look like and I truly believe there isn't a right or wrong way. 

1 comment:

  1. I believe you, Catie, of all people will be able to deliver natural.

    I'm looking forward to your blog about natural childbirth!

    ReplyDelete