Thursday, December 6, 2012

The first pregnancy blog ((6 weeks pregnant))

By the time this is actually read by anyone, it will probably be about eight weeks from when I first wrote it. But since the contents of this message have been a secret until the appointed time it was necessary :)

I expect that by now, family, friends and facebook will all know that Matt and I are expecting our first child in May 2013! We are overjoyed, elated, nervous, and a little scared. But we really couldn't be happier for this awesome blessing.

I want to document as much as I can about this momentous time in our life. So I'll start from the beginning.

In the middle of July Matt and I made the decision to give up any and all forms of birth control. We were definitely feeling called to surrender that aspect of our life to God and I'll admit, it was freeing and a bit exhilerating all in one. We weren't trying to get pregnant, but we weren't not trying either. The timing would be right no matter what, and so we trusted.

Whelp. Fast foward to the day before Labor Day. After a raucus day of roller coasters at Kings Island, I told Matt and I was a few days late and suggested we go buy a pregnancy test and tampons.... one of them was going to be necessary.
The next morning we found out the pregnancy test was a good choice because those two bars showed up faster than you can say anything... ever.

I have to admit the initial reaction was one of shock. I think we were both shaking; unsure what to do next. We felt like we needed to go somewhere to get it all medically confirmed but we don't have physician we regularly see sooo off to Urgent Care we went! We got a very solemn confirmation at Urgent Care that I was, indeed, pregnant. I proceeded to downloaded the first pregnancy app I could find on my phone to keep me updated on baby's progress. After that, Matt and I went to Brueggers Bagels to have a celebratory breakfast. We also went to Brueggers the day Matt proposed  so it's kind of a special spot for us.
He asked me how I was feeling, and I said I felt great! and that I was just really hungry.

As of today, I'm six weeks. I feel remarkably well. I have a bit of a cold which seems to be going around, but other than that and constantly being hungry, I'm good. Sometimes I have random gagging fits. That's always weird and uncomfortable. I don't know what it stems from because I don't feel nauseous before or after it happens.

At the moment we don't have an OB/Midwife. Weird insurance issues have me in a gray area as far as health-care goes. The rudimentary plan right now is to have the baby at Good Samaritan hospital. We'd like to have a midwife deliver and I have every intention of delivering this baby naturally. Between Matt, possible Doula and Bradley Classes I think we can make that work. That's about all I know about the birth plan. Good thing we've got another 8 months to figure it all out.

Boy or Girl? Matt and I have no preference. We want a healthy baby. However, two of my closest friends are already convinced I'm having a boy. And What to expect when you're expecting says that constant hunger is indicative of a boy. At the same time, the Chinese Gender chart says to think pink and Matt has sworn to go against what everyone else says so he's saying girl as well. And I have no clue. Not even an inkling. I guess I'm leaning towards boy because of popular thought.

As of today!
Baby is: A quarter of an inch long - the size of a lentil bean
Currently craving: Everything but sweets.
Currently Averting: Maybe hard boiled eggs, chocolate, and candy.
Looking forward to: Buying our house and designing a nursery
Not looking forward to: The possibility of actually having morning sickness

So here's to the first of many blogs about my journey into motherhood.

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog! Thank you for taking us on this journey with you and Matt (and Baby C, of course!). It's such an exciting time in your lives. Enjoy every moment of it.

    I remember when Matt was little thinking he was never going to grow up. Now he's going to be a daddy and I have absolutely no idea where those years went.

    You and Matt are going to make wonderful parents! Baby C is one lucky little lentil ;) Love you all <3

    ReplyDelete